Saturday, June 2, 2012

Meeting Ulf

We have not been able to get connected to the internet at the farm. I have been writing my blogs in word to post later. I am now in a hotel in Berlin, Germany connected to the internet so here is where I left off last.

We got off the train in Peine, Germany (Pronounced Pyna) on Saturday afternoon with no idea where to go. Once again wanting to rid ourselves of half the things in our pack! We found a restaurant and sat down to order some food and when I looked out the window I saw across the street a Taxi business. I was washed over with relief that we found a taxi!

Here is some of the farm!

The cabbie who claims to not speak English was quite the driver! We feared for our lives when the speed limit was 60kph on a very tiny two lane road and he was going 120kph. Not only was he speeding by double he also felt the need to pass slower drivers on the way. 20 euro later the Taxi dropped us off safely (to our surprise) at Ulf’s farm, which was in the middle of a small village.  There was no apparent place to go. He has many doors and owns two houses on the street. First thing we found a place to drop our bags then very unsure of what to do or how to find this farmer we slowly started to look around. Some things that I first noticed was cob webs all over the house, un-groomed flower gardens, bird houses everywhere and houses all around.  I was thinking what kind of farm is this and what the heck did I get us into? We were wondering around for about five minutes when Ulf pulled up in his old Mercedes station wagon. He was very friendly and smiley, first offering us food and drink. Asking if we needed to rest? We just had dinner at the restaurant and I was very excited to see what this place was all about. He showed us around the farm and introduced us to all the animals. Lucky Lucy the milking cow, six pigs, six colonies of bees, many chickens, five baby geese that he bred, two ducks with bigger babies and many other birds that I cannot remember all currently breeding. After showing Us around he said it was time to eat. Over dinner he told us he has much more land around the village. He invited us to go with him and his aunt in the morning to see it all. After dinner we went to our living quarters upstairs to unpack and get settled in.



Lucky Lucy-  she visits me every morning for an ear scratch!
Yes, I've had to eat a lot of pork!
There is only 2 baby geese left. They both think I'm their momma and follow me around. I've named them Baby #1 & Baby #2

The next morning we went with Ulf in his station wagon to pick up his Aunt who was very sweet but did not speak English. She kept talking to me in German, Ulf assured me that as long as I smiled and looked friendly, I would do fine. Although I still have no idea what she tried to tell me. We then drove to the prairie where Ulf keeps his cattle, another field where he keeps his sheep, where his ex girlfriend keeps her horses (she lives in his other house above the store), another plot of land where he grows his potatoes and rye. Then there is also the lot of land across the street from him that has strawberries, earlier planted potatoes, and some German beans and we can’t forget the two green houses stuffed with different vegetables and Herbs. Overall he has a lot to take care of and it’s only him to do it all, which explains some of the neglect in less important areas. In his words “if it does not make him money or bring him food, he does not waste his time on it.” The rest of Sunday was very laid back. Ulf walked us through his daily routine. Up at 7:00 to have breakfast, work at 8:00, 2nd breakfast at 10:00 (coffee and bars he baked), Lunch at 1:00 where we take a 1 1/2 hour break, then dinner at 7:00. Overall I am very fond of the schedule. By the end of Sunday we were feeling bad for eating free food and doing nothing all day. We were very excited to see what a work day would be like. Oh my, were we in for a surprise!


Inside one of the green houses
Just some pretty flowers on the farm



No comments:

Post a Comment